Some individuals who received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine may benefit from an additional dose 28 days after their second dose. This is recommended for individuals with a condition (see CDC website) that severely weakens their immune system. This includes individuals who:
- Are receiving cancer treatments
- Have received an organ transplant or stem cell transplant
- Have moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency such as DiGeorge syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome
- Have advanced or untreated HIV
- Are actively receiving high doses of corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune system.
Studies have shown that some people with weakened immune systems may have decreased immunity after vaccination and may be vulnerable to serious and prolonged illness from COVID-19. An additional dose can help ensure that they have enough protection against COVID-19. Additional doses are currently not recommended for anyone else at this time. Please follow up with your healthcare provider for additional information on whether you need additional doses.